Saturday, November 12, 2011

NaNoWriMo Days 6—12

Well today is the end of day 12 and guess what? I'm right on my word target! 20,000 words!

It's been a little bit of a struggle, like yesterday when I finished work at 8pm and all I wanted to do was sleep. But, luckily, I toughened up and managed to write some words before collapsing on my bed.

At the moment, the main problem with my novel is that I don't know where it is going. Every few days I have to come up with a new idea because I keep finding myself repeating words and slowing down while my characters once again contemplate the meaning of life. In order to combat this slowness, I have developed/borrowed a couple of gorilla tactics:
1) Add a new character. This is a great why to speed up a dying storyline. In my case I added an assassin who tried to kill my two MCs!
2) Add a subplot. This is a great way to add words, fill space and add more adventure. In my case, one of my MC has to travel through the forest for a night and a day looking for a lost object. The object is important although it's not crucial for the main storyline, it's more of a red-herring.
3) Add conflict. In real life not everyone gets along, even best friends fight, families disagree and sisters argue. Why should it be any different in your novel. In my case, my MC and her brother have an argument about his use of violence. She disagrees, he yells at her and she becomes scared of him. This tension underlines several other scenes until they finally resolve their differences. (... or do they?)

How about you guys? What gorilla tactics had you discovered/borrowed to liven up your writing?

1 comment:

  1. I've actually read about people overcoming writer's block simply by changing the font around. I think it's kind of amusing.

    Your tactics are pretty good. I can't think of anything else right now because my brain is dead. Here's a link that tackles it as well: http://blog.janicehardy.com/2011/11/need-jump-four-ways-to-fix-stalled.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails