Thursday, May 6, 2010

MARIA V. SNYDER; Poison study


Author: Maria V. Snyder
Novel: Poison Study
Release date: 2005
Category: Fantasy
Publisher: Mira Books

Blurb: About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered a reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace, and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia. And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust, and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison. As Yelena tries to escape her dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and she develops magical powers she can't control. Her life’s at stake again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren’t so clear!

Review: This book is the new craze here in Australia. When I bought the series at Borders today every single staff member at one point or another walked over and congratulated me on my excellent choice! It was very strange but also made me feel as if I was standing on the edge of some wonderful club I was about to enter.

Poison Study was just as good as it promised to be. Intriguing, dark, dangerous, life threatening, funny, inspiring and much much more. The main protagonist, Yelena is very believable and so too are the circumstances that she finds herself in although unlike anything you could ever imagine. Her teacher and royal spy master, Valek is my new love, with his wonderful thoughts, unpredictable movements and never to be underestimated loyalty. Even Commander Ambrose, while remote, is a character that you still get to know.

The story line never has a dull moment. Cover to cover I was entranced and the second book, sitting on my lap but that can not be opened until next monday when I get back from my field trip, is enticing like an itch on my soul that I must scratch.

If you are a MELINA MARCHETTA Finniking of the Rock or CELINE KIERNAN The Moorehawke Trilogy (review coming really soon) fan then jump on the ban wagon and ride swiftly away from all things Twilight!

Five out of Five stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails