Wednesday, September 28, 2011

EMILY BRONTE; Wuthering Heights quote #1

I've just started reading Wuthering Heights again. I knew I loved this book for a reason. Emily Bronte's use of language is simply beautiful. To demonstrate just how imaginative she is, I have copied my favourite quote so far. This is our first sight of the house and this scene expresses the mood of the story so entirely it is as if I am approaching the house myself, walking through the wild moors to visit the miserable Mr Heathcliff.

'Wuthering Heights is the name of Mr Heathcliff's dwelling. Wuthering being a significant provincial adjective, descriptive of the atmospheric tumult to which its station is exposed, in stormy weather. Pure bracing ventilation they must have up there, at all times, indeed: one may guess the power of the north wind blowing over the edge, by the excessive slant of a few, stunted firs, at the end of the house; and by a grange of gaunt thorns all stretching their limbs one way, as if craving alms of the sun. Happily the architect had foresight to build it strong: the narrow windows are deeply set in the wall; and the corners defended with large jutting stones.'


If that doesn't make you want to pick up a copy of the book, then I don't know what will. It really is an english classic!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails