Tuesday, August 23, 2011

JANE CATO; Just a girl

Just a GirlAuthor: Jane Caro
Novel: Just a Girl
Publisher: UQP
Release date: May 2011

I do not remember when I discovered how my mother died, it seems to be something I always knew, a horror I absorbed through my skin. 

Determined, passionate and headstrong, Elizabeth I shaped the destiny of a kingdom. 

Her mother; Anne Boleyn, was executed by her father Henry VIII. From that moment on, Elizabeth competed with her two half-siblings for love and for Britain’s throne. In the gilded corridors of the royal palace, enemies she couldn’t see – as well as those bound to her by blood – plotted to destroy her. 

Using her courage to survive and her wits to confound those who despised her, this young woman became one of the greatest monarchs the world has ever seen. 

Even though she was just a girl, she had already lived a lifetime.

Jane Caro uses poetic license as well as historical research to develop the character of Elizabeth I before her coronation. She beautifully recreates Elizabeth's life of uncertainty, fear and loneliness so as to present the realities of being a Princess. This is the book that will make you stop wishing you were royalty!

Caro delicately expressed the scenes of sex, violence and death in a manner that present the facts without the excessive shock value. However, following so closely to the events of history results in an unoriginal story line. It is a great read for anyone wanted to learn about Tudor England but not for the learned historian.


View all my reviews at Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails