Sunday, February 14, 2010

JACK DANN & GARDNER DOZOIS; The Dragon Book

Editors: Jack Dann and Gardner Dozois
Authors: Kate Baker, Peter S. Beagle, Bruce Coville, Andy Duncan, Diana Gabaldon and Samuel Skyes, Cecelia Holland, Diana Wynne Jones, Tanith Lee, Gregory Maguire, Garth Nix, Naomi Novik, Tamora Pierce, Mary Rosenblum, Jonathan Stroud, Harry Turtledove, Liz Williams, Tad Williams, Jane Yolen and Adam Stemple.
Novel: The Dragon Book
Release date: 2009
Category: Fantasy



Blurb: Whether portrayed as fire-breathing reptilian beasts at war with humanity or as noble creatures capable of speech and mystically bonded to the warriors who ride them, dragons have been found in nearly every cultures’ mythology. In modern times they can appear far from their medieval settings, in locales as mundane as suburbia or as barren as post-apocalyptic landscapes. In The Dragon Book, today’s greatest fantasists reignite the fire with legendary tales that will consume your imagination.

Review: I bought this book mainly for the stories by Tamora Pierce and Diana Wyyne Jones. I loved, especially in the case of Tamora Pierce, being given the opportunity to read more of Daine’s story (The Immortals quartet). I have to admit I hadn’t really heard of many of the other authors (my first confession), however the good thing about a collection of short story meant that I was able to experiment with different fantasy authors. I have now added many of their names to my new years resolutions including Garth Nix, Diana Gabaldon and Samuel Skyes.

The other great thing about this collection is that you are given a range of authors views and thoughts on the same topic; dragons. I loved seeing how each person took the theme and came out with nineteen original and unique points of view.

(My second confession) story stories are not my favourite to read even if they are my favourite genera to write. My main complain is that if the beginning of each story was not good enough to catch my attention straight away then I would just flip to the next. This, I am sorry to say, happened a few times.

All in all, three out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails