Thursday, August 5, 2010

DIANA WYNNE JONES; Enchanted Glass


Author: Diana Wynne Jones
Novel: Enchanted Glass
Release date: 2010
Category: Fantasy

Blurb: When Andrew Hope’s magician grandfather dies, he leaves his house and field-of-care to his grandson who spent much of his childhood there. Andrew has forgotten much of this, but he remembers the very strong-minded staff, and the vegetables his grandfather used to leave on the roof of the shed, which vanished by morning. He also remembers the very colourful strained-glass window in the kitchen door, which it is important to protect.

Into this mix comes young Aidan Cian, who turns up from the orphanage asking for safety. Exactly who he is and why he’s there is unclear, but a strong connection between the two very soon becomes apparent. There’s a mystery to be solved, but first they have to find out exactly what it is!

Review: Giants vegetables, revenge by cauliflower cheese, talking dogs and a magician’s house, what more could you ask for. When I first started reading it and on the first page found out that Andrew was a thirty year old protagonist I was disappointed. But I should have known that with Diana Wynne Jones anything is possible. Age to her is unimportant for an adventure can strike anyone, any time and this was a lesson I was grateful to learn.

In any case, the connection between Andrew and the young boy, Aidan, is well written with the point of view constantly changing from one to the other smooth and efficiently. It was done well and it gave me a better understanding of what was happening in several different places all at the same time.

The story tired in nicely but it was the characters and the setting that I loved the most. Diana is one of my very favorite authors, not because her plots are amazing (which quite frankly, they aren’t) but because the characters are unique and lovable, and the setting is wonderful. What I wouldn’t give to live in that house like that with the strong-minded staff and vanishing vegetables on the roof?

I was disappointed only once when one of the characters swore. Not because its a very young adult novel but because I am old fashion and I myself don’t swear. It is a very odd occasion for this to happen in a Diana Wynne Jones novel which normally give off a save and secure feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails