Monday, March 8, 2010

LIBBA BRAY; The Sweet Far Thing



Author: Libba Bray
Novel: The Sweet Far Thing
Release date: 2007
Category: Gothic, Historical fantasy
Third book in the Gemma Doyle series

Blurb: It have been a year since Gemma Doyle arrived at the foreboding Spence Academy. Her mother murdered, her father a laudanum addict, Gemma has relied on an unsuspected strength and has discovered an ability to travel to an enchanted world called the realms, where dark magic runs wild. Despite certain peril, Gemma has bound the magic to herself and forged unlikely new alliances. Now, as Gemma approaches her London debut, the time has come to test these bonds.

The Order - the mysterious group her mother was once part of - is grappling for control of the realms, as is the Rakshana. Spence's burned East Wing is being rebuilt, but why now? Gemma and her friends see Pippa, but she is not the same. And their friendship faces its gravest trial as Gemma must decide once and for all what role she is meant for.



Review: Spoiler Warning–this review may contain plot spoiler for book 1 A great and Terrible Beauty and book 2 Rebel Angles. See previous reviews for more information.

I definitely have mixed feelings about this one. In many I was let down but in others I was not. Lets begin with the good.

I loved this book because it is part of the Gemma Doyle series. That was its biggest attraction. It is not a stand alone book and it completes the previous two. The characters I had fallen in love with in A Great and Terrible Beauty and Rebel Angels were back with all new exciting tales to tell. Gemma, Felicity and Ann fought just as hard and strong as ever in the battle for the realms magic and to the change their lives in Victorian England. Kartik was also back, Gemma’s mysterious love interest and keeper of my heart.

On the down side, I thought that the characters moved around too much. They travelled back and forth from Spence, to London, to the realms and many places besides. After a while I wished that they would stay in one place for more than a couple of days so that I could get my thoughts together and calm down. All the traveling appeared to tire me more than it did the girls.

The ending was sudden and unexpected. Maybe too sudden for the pieces didn’t seem to come together as tightly as they usually do and this, for me, was a sore point. I won’t say any more for fear of spoiling the ending, just keep in mind things do not always end as your wish them to.

Don’t get me wrong, this was still a great book and a wonderful finish to the Gemma Doyle series. Three out of five stars today.


(If I had to choose my favorite though I would say that Rebel Angles is it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails